Thursday, October 11, 2007

So...here I am on blogger. ::waves to the blogosphere::

I suppose introductions and explanations are probably in order. Hi! My name's Sara. I work at the Kingston and Bainbridge branches of KRL and am embarking on this blog as a result of our new KRL 2.0 program, which is all very exciting. I am not precisely new to blogging but haven't really spent much time on blogger in the past. I have a tendency to ramble and a terrible habit of over-using parentheses. I'm calling this place The Birdhouse because a) thinking of names is terribly difficult and b) I'm fascinated by corvids in general and crows in particular. So there's a mild crow theme thing going on.

Since this is a blog at least vaguely connected to the library, I should probably use it to talk about library-ish things. The 2.0 program, for example, and babble about whatever it is I'm reading that day. It's a good plan, anyway, and I suppose that what anyone reading can expect to begin with. (If anyone reads this...)

So! To begin - yesterday, I started the new Discworld novel, Making Money. In it, we see the the return of Moist von Lipwig, last seen in Going Postal. I liked Going Postal a good deal (it's not Nightwatch but then, what else is?) and so I'm glad to see the character back. I'm only a few pages into it but it seems enjoyable already. I imagine I'll update as I get further into the book.

::rereads:: Not terribly bad for a first post. 8)

12 comments:

Laura Warren said...

Hi Sara,

As part of the krlnet2.0 committee, I'm visiting blogs. What's up with the crows???

If you like good fiction, go to my library thing profile and read the review on the Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield.

Go to www.librarything.com click on the search tab, go to members and type in lauraslibrary.

Great blog...you are on your way to an MP3 player!

Laura Warren
Downtown Bremerton

Sara F. said...

Hi Laura,

(Ah yes - blogger doesn't do nested comments. Sad.)

The crows...well, I like them. Crows are intelligent, lovely to look at, and fun to watch. And I flatter myself that I'm fairly corvine, at least in my easy distractability and love of shiny things. 8)

Thanks for the link to your librarything - I'll have to spend some more time browsing that site. And thanks for the book rec also.

Knots said...

Don't spill too much about the new Pratchett book, I haven't gotten a chance to read it :) Like the birds (am easily distracted by shiny objects as well).

Sara said...

knots--

No worries. You won't get spoilers from me.

Constance said...

Hi Sara, Great first post, great blog! I'm a geekgirl, too, so it was a pleasure reading your profile. I like horror, sci-fi, fantasy, Doctor Who (I think I saw you in a Dalek shirt at LTD--too cool), and shiny things. (Crows are great, but how do you feel about herons? I have one in my yard right now eating my koi, and I'd happily wish it to your yard.) I look forward to reading your next post.

Sara F. said...

Constance--

Hello! I don't know that the heron would be able to do much in my yard (it's about the size of a postage stamp) but if you want to send it along, I'm sure it would be welcome. 8)

dulcigal said...

Heyho, I'm visiting blogs just like Laura! I am a major fan of crows and raised my children well: the crow is their favorite bird. Even as adults.

Sara F. said...

slee--

Hello and pleased to make your acquaintance. And your children have excellent taste. 8)

Cronehenge said...

I love your responses to your posts. Yous funny! Keep going.

Sara F. said...

hannah--

::blushes:: Thanks very much.

Deanna said...

Sounds like there are a lot of Crow fans out there. Myself included. Saw a Crow chasing one of those pathetic juvenile Seagulls'? Sea Gull? Thought it quite funny. Read and interesting book last summer on the intelligence of Crows and Jays. Yes I got it from Krl. Beautiful pics.

Sara F. said...

Deanna--

I don't suppose you happen to recall the title of the book on crows and jays? It sounds like something that would be very interesting to read.